Featured post

MOMENTS WITH MPILISO DAKE NYATHI

Thursday 18 April 2019

MR ESWATINI SETS UP COMMUNITY DEVELOPMENT PROGRAMMES TO KEEP YOUTHS OUT OF CRIME ACTIVITIES.


Rodney Landsbeg derives from Eswatini the royal Kingdom,Rodney Landsberg  who has won almost 5 pageants was crowned Mr Eswatini last year, in an interview Rodney informs us how his journey has been. Since he was ordained as Mr Eswatini. He informs us how is is trying to improve his community by introducing several programmes that will keep youths from crime.


TR: When did you decided 'Okay' ! this is it , I'm going to compete for this pageant?
RL:I decided to join Mr. ESwatini after looking closely at the people who had already joined.
 Not for competitions sake, but rather for the sake of the pageants industry in the country. 
Many people think pageants are a free backstage pass to partied alcohol and the opposite sex. And yet they are not those things. 
Pageant titles are a responsibility, one which you must hold without most respect and dignity. And out of some of the contestants I knew that to them it was a party trick.
Having held four Pageant titles previously, I knew what pageants were, and most of all I knew what they meant, especially to me. A person whose ,whole life was changed by winning one simple pageant. 
I knew that if I do not join, I would have let the industry down. Because not only did I know what it takes to hold a title, I also knew what it meant.
So on 31st December 2017, the final deadline for registration, I submitted my form and requested to join MR ESwatini 2018.


TR:When you were announced as the King of the pageant.How did you manage to receive the news and did you had any clue that you were the winner?
RL:From the first day I started pageantry in 2014, I knew this was for me. As humans we have talents, some of us have multiple talents. 
Out of the talents we have there is that favorite one, that favorite one for me was pageants. The day I won my first pageant it meant so much to me in a way no one would understand. I knew Pageantry was my thing. Pageantry had chosen me, and I needed it at that time, the runway was the only place I found hope, I found appreciation, love.
when I am in a pageant that hour, or three hours…. Or let’s say those runs on the stage give me a rush, a rush and nothing else has ever made me feel that much alive. Have your ever done something and During that time nothing in the world matters “not money, not fame, not anything” only one thing goes in your mind when you find that thing, you want to be the best at it… and the only way I knew how was after winning four pageants I had to get that final one… that big one, that national one. 
Because I knew no one else who wanted it that bad. Or maybe I did, they hadn’t joined and it would be unfair if the crown was taken by someone who would mess up its reputation. Or someone who wouldn’t understand its worth. Mr. ESwatini then became a personal quest. 
You must understand that Pageants are not an easy thing. They may break or make you. If they break you, you are forever damaged. You are judged in front of your loved ones and if they see you are not as perfect as you seem, you may lose hope in yourself. 
 But you can learn from them. I have won Five pageants in  a row… but it doesn’t mean I landed perfect, I landed a pageant winner, no. before that I lost two pageants, I learnt how to walk from the ones who had bettered me at that time, learnt how to talk on stage, how to train and keep fit and healthy. And most of all how to wear that slim fit personally tailored suit. Thanks to a friend who I would always help do photoshoots for his Clothes. He was able to tailor a suit for me. That was the best suit I had ever worn.
It was during the question and answer sessions when I realized I had made it. I thought to myself, I had given it my outmost best. it turned out that my best, was that year’s best.
I am beating about the bush trying to explain a feeling that cannot be explained. When you are told you are the best amongst people you have seen show far greater qualities than your own, and this is done in front of a huge crowd. You feel like the whole world is yours. Like you are capable of being the best at anything. 
It is quite a hard feeling to explain, there is great fullness, a sense of achievement, love, too much love, hope, passion, drive. A bolt of all the inspiring feelings run through you and very few people get that feeling of being deemed the best in front of a lot of people. 
It’s a good feeling, an incredible one and it is addictive. 

TR:What lesson did you get?
RL:If you are true to yourself, so true that the whole world sees who you really are, even they can’t fight against the will you will have for success, Infact nothing can stand in your way. If you are true to yourself.
I also learnt that people are incredible… there are many people out there, each with their own incredible story. 
No one is greater than the other… the difference lies in who tells theirs. And how they tell it…. If I tell my story and it doesn’t move you, you will forget it the next day… but if it moves you, like the young colourd boy who lived in a stick and mud house and was raised by his grandmother, made it through a life of crime, setting out to show the people of his home area that you can be on the paper without being on the wanted list. The boy who made it through school with no parents, made it to university and graduated. Without money for Clothes or good food he was able to be whom he wanted to be. What on earth is stopping you?
If I want something in future I look at what I have accomplished and I realize maaaaaan anything is possible. So what have I learnt? Human beings are capable of anything, especially the most un-imaginable form of greatness. They are capable. We are capable.

TR:Who is your role model in Africa? 
RL:My Role Model in Africa…, let’s see. Should I pick a single person, or am I allowed to pick the continent itself (giggles) . Because the story of Africa is an incredible one.
Yes we have made mistakes and we are not a perfect people. But we deserve a little 'credit' for coming this far. From the mother who walks a long distance for a bucket of water, to the born a crime colored who made it to the daily show. From the Struggling Artist’s to the famous ones. From the child headed families to the ones that the economy depends on. From the freedom fighter to the presidents. We are a strong people, we deserve so much credit for coming this far. 
There is no singular person, but rather a combination of all the inspiring stories told by Africa form who I wish to become.
Still on Africa, what do you think can be done to support the male counter parts of pageants?
Eish that’s a tough one. The support the male pageants get is not as huge as the female counter part. And that does bring about numerous challenges. 
I think that we must support our female counter parts as much as we can, you will be surprised the support they can give back, this then attracts attention from the relevant people who can offer support.
For instance, I know Former Miss Lesotho, and she has given me so much support on social media and in Advice, I know the Pageant coach from University of Botswana, she too helped me with a lot of advice. I know Miss ESwatini, and my support towards her and her projects have generated so much support for my projects as well, supporting them through social media and in real life. Miss Teen ESwatini, Miss Uniswa, Miss Tourism… all these pageant winners do support my endeavors.
Now in as much as we are lacking support, there are people walking the same path as we are. The judgement, the “being perfect all the time” the pressure being the face of a country comes with. And if we support these people during their times. They will support us during ours. And this support can take you much further than a company who is pushing their Marketing Campaign.

TR:What have you done for your community?
RL:I have gone to 24 schools in the country, for motivational speeches, to try and encourage them to be their outmost best, to be the best they can at whatever they do.  I realized that we are falling behind in education. And it is because the youth forget how important going to school is. How it opens the mind. And so I tried to inspire as many as possible to try and learn as much as they can.
I tried to engage companies with the financial muscle and personnel with the capability to make a difference. Where some companies did help. I was involved with some charities. Where we visited community soup kitchens. I also was engaged in uplifting the Acting industry in the country which needs a few big names supporting it, even if it is by occasionally being present at their events.
I am still trying to make a name for myself so that I may be able to better help my people. I read somewhere that “the sight of an achievement is the greatest gift a human being can offer others”. 
In 2016 I helped establish a modelling School, here I help teach those who want to be like me how to model. Where to go, which channels to take and how to make it a paying job whilst they do it, because they have to be able to make ends meet.
With the help of my community the young members and I were able to set up a community development program in the place where I grew up. From time to time this program engages the youth and helps to gather and have talks with the youth as how can they better curb the Crime that has been dominant for a greater number of years in my home area. It’s not very huge yet and currently has an attendance of 20 people a week. We are positive it will grow and soon with time and effort it will be able to make a difference in the whole community.
It is unfortunate that I have to seek Employment as I have to make ends meet. My grandmother has been working for so long, I owe it to her that she rests.

TR:What's your future plans?
RL:(Laughing) ha-ha you want to steal my success plans, no no no. hahaha (laughing).
Let’s just say, if I don’t become the role model I hope once had, I would have at least tried my outmost best. I am working towards being able to make the difference that counts. And to do that I will have to have the ability. I am seeking that ability. Once I have got it, I will be able to use it well. And make a significant difference where possible.


TR:Besides modelling what are your other dreams that you planning to achieve?
RL:Education. I hope to create a platform where the unfortunate may receive the education the fortunate receive. Education can improve the level of thinking of a human being. The poor folk get worse education whilst the most fortunate get the best education. They are able to maneuver in a new age of information.
So if we can get some of the humble folk to be educated well enough, maybe things might be better for the world. Because not only does education give you better skills with Numbers, History or Science. It gives you access to the biggest and most valuable tool we have been given as human beings.
It opens your mind such that you are able to think…. Rome was not built in a Day, but before it was built it was thought off. The Tall buildings, the fastest cars, the social Media Platforms. These things were thought of, by people who had the ability to think.
Education broadens your thinking capacity. Such that the Individual is able to think about himself, his family, his country, his continent and the world he lives in. not limiting his mind to a day to day basis but also giving him the ability to set plans for his own tomorrow.

By Tapiwa Rubaya

No comments:

Post a Comment